Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Night Owl Slumber Party

It's SUMMER and in my house that means BIRTHDAY TIME! Two of my kids birthday's are in the summer (June and July) and the other is in May so to that I say- Thank goodness we have a pool because summertime in Sacramento is
HOT HOT HOT!
 For my daughter's 10th birthday we decided it was time to have her first slumber party. Now lets get things straight here. I am NOT A FAN of Slumber Parties. Sure they are fun and you make memories that last a lifetime and all that but all I can focus on as a mom with kids and slumber parties are:
  • giggling ALL NIGHT LONG
  • Taking homesick kids home in the middle of the night
  • GIRL drama
  • Grumpy tired kids the next day
Other then that they are a BLAST! HA!
I was browsing Pinterest one afternoon and saw an amazing owl face mask pattern. As soon as I saw it I just knew, even against my dread of slumber parties, that we had to do a Night Owl themed Slumber Party and so it began!
Kellie and her daughter Kate were even in town and were tons of help getting everything ready!
These face masks were quick and simple to make. Just cut out and hand stitch!
To go along with the Owl themed party I made these fun and very easy Owl Cupcakes.
To make owl cupcakes just whip up or buy whatever flavor of cupcakes you like and frost. I hear you can even ask for unfrosted cupcakes at your supermarket bakery.
My favorite Frosting is by far the Buttercream Frosting found on the C&H Powdered Sugar package. In case you don't buy C&H here is the recipe:
Buttercream Frosting:
1 1 lb. box (approx. 3 3/4 cups) C& H Powdered Sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions:
In large bowl with electric mixer at low speed, combine sugar, butter, milk and vanilla. Beat at medium speed 1 to 2 minutes until creamy. If desired, add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency.
 
I make the frosting into owl "ears" by just using a knife and shaping them.
Next, take the Oreo's apart and place a brown Reeses Pieces for the eye and an orange one for the nose.
We also served a few other yummies:
Veggies and Dip & Tortilla Pinwheels
 Meringues in pretty cupcake wrappers
Night Owl Food - I wanted the girls to have some snacks later that night while they were watching a movie- so we put together a little mix of fun treats. we garnished the bags with these cute pom poms that I had originally made for a baby shower as cupcake toppers! 
  To decorate the table I used the same fabric as was on the masks as a table runner and then some things from around the house like this birdcage and owl
And of course a picture of the birthday girl
I wanted to give the girls some "slumber party favors" so we gave them these pedicure kits and some foam glow sticks to play with in the pool when it got dark.
 When they went home the next day they left with these tubes filled with bubble gum:
It turned out to be a wonderful party! Hardly any girl drama and only one midnight trip home!
 
 
 

1 comment: